As a toddler at the Montessori school, we had to take care of our own plant. Part of the Montessori method. The plant symbolizes caring for your environment and ensures the daily contact with nature. That is why I always have flowers and plants at home. In this time of the year, longing for spring (it is spring but cold and a few days ago even snowing), plants can help to bring a little bit of spring inside.
How to select plants
Decide which characteristics are important:
Plants can help you filter the air from chemicals (in building materials, cleaning products, printers) so you must ventilate less. Important in these days of working at home! No headaches or irritations.
• Nephrolepis exaltata (Krulvaren, Fern), Chlorophytum comosum (Graslelie, Spider plant),
• Aglaonema (Familie van de Aronskelken or Chinese Evergreen)
Plants can match the style of your house. Do you like an urban jungle or a minimalistic sphere? Colorful or Zen? The Flower council of Holland describes trends (look at the sites mentioned below).
• “Inner retreat” Aloe Vera
• “Crazy Colors” Hypoestes, a bright plant with freckles or Phalaenopsis Orchidee, Orchid) for its beautiful colors
• “A mid-century look” : The seventies are returning with Pilea peperomioides (Pannenkoekplant or Chinese Money plant) or the Cyperus alternifolius (Parapluplant)
Hide a bad corner or if you need volume:
• Chrysalidocarpus lutescens (Goudpalm, Butterfly palm) can reach every ceiling or
• Chamaerops (Waaierpalm, Dwarf palm) grows more in width
What type are you? a good caretaker or someone who forgets the plants? In the latter case
• A Sansevieria (Vrouwentong, Snake plant) is a solution because it only dies from too much water!
• Ficus Benjamina only the plant cannot withstand drafts.
• Succulents, which store water in the root, stem or leaf.
All kind of green plants, but of course color is an option:
- Phaleanopsis (orchidee, orchid), all kind of colors
- Anthurium, with white or red flowers
Inspiring books, sites, and shops
Sites, Socials, Shops:
Mooi wat planten doen from the Dutch Flower council in Dutch, English, French and German.
DK, Kaktus Copenhagen, Instagram kaktus_kbhNL
Enjoy a green spring!